Sorry I'm a day late (hopefully not a dollar short), but here are some random thoughts on this past weekend at New Horizon...
• Great kick-off to the Christmas season! Attendance was way off due to the snow but the Christmas spirit was in full swing. Christmas decorations everywhere...new Christmas stage design...all due to our awesome volunteers at New Horizon! Thx everyone!!
• Jon and the band rocked it out Christmas style...especially with Kristi's version of All I Want For Christmas Is You. (Didn't Jon do an awesome job with the jingle bells?)
• I was scheduled to preach last week but due to the death of Susan's mom we were in Minnesota all week for the funeral. So Jamie stepped up at the last minute and knocked it out of the park. This Christmas we're unpacking Isaiah 9:6 together in an effort to discover what his Christmas Presence means to us today. Jamie zeroed in on what it means for God to be our "Wonderful Counselor."
• I've been a serious follower of Christ now for over 37 years and it's still an amazing thought to me that God...the God of the universe...would actually want to speak to me...me! That he would take the time and make the effort to give me his advice...not just good advice but the RIGHT advice...just blows my mind.
• Christmas services this year are going to be OFF THE CHARTS!! Like I said Sunday, this isn't going to be your typical baby-Jesus-in-the-manger, shepherds-on-the-hill, three-wise-men kind of Christmas service. We're going to rock out some great Christmas music and we're going to preach the gospel NHC-style! I believe this is going to be one of the clearest gospel/Christmas messages we've ever done.
* Sooo, here's what I'm asking you to do - PRAY LIKE CRAZY between now and Christmas Eve. And then INVITE LIKE CRAZY!! Every study that has ever been done on this shows the same thing - CHRISTMAS IS THE TIME WHEN YOUR UNCHURCHED FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES ARE MOST LIKELY TO ACCEPT AND INVITATION TO CHURCH! So, do whatever it takes to get an invitation in their hands and then get them here for one of our 4 services on Dec. 23 & 24.
• And because everyone will be working so hard for our Christmas Eve services, we're taking Christmas weekend off. There will be no services on Sunday, December 26th. So relax and enjoy the time with your family.
• We've officially kicked-off the Christmas Offering season too. Each year we celebrate Christmas by giving the best year-end offering we can, which helps us to end the year well and start the new year strong as a church family. As I said Sunday, here's what I'm asking you to do: 1) Pray - ask God what he wants you to give, and 2) Obey - give what God tells you to give. And if you want some scripture to read as you pray through on this, I would highly recommend 2 Corinthians 8,9.
• Next week, Pt. 2 of Christmas Presence - Mighty God! Can't wait to unpack that one with you all. Love you New Horizon!!