BEST DAY IN THE HISTORY OF NEW HORIZON CHURCH!!! And there's no way I can adequately recap what happened today, but here are some of my thoughts at the end of the day.
• Going into today I was praying for 100 people to respond to the message. But God had BIGGER PLANS. We saw 254 people walk forward and nail their names to crosses, saying they were surrendering their lives to Jesus. Can't ever get enough of that!!!
• One thing that blew me away was listening to the sound of people nailing their names (and their sin) to those crosses. Awe inspiring experience.
• Not sure of the attendance figures yet, but I think I can safely say we blew away any non-holiday attendance records.
• The worship was off the hook today, starting with the opening number. The band did New Creation, which featured Zack Kitto being painted with glow in the dark paint while he sang. And then add in lighted drums in the audience and it was quite an opening experience. (We'll be posting video of this number to Facebook in case you want to see it again.)
• The message was the simplest presentation of the gospel that we've ever done. We're all sinners (RO 3:23)...we can be forgiven (COL 2:13,14)...if we'll just trust what Jesus did and be born again (JN 3:3).
• I don't think I've ever seen NHC'ers as pumped up as they were today. God seems to be doing something in us that has really focused us on the mission of helping more people encounter God through Jesus..
• And here's the thing that made today so successful - so many of us got ONE...we got someone into an environment where they could hear about Jesus and God did what only he can do. We simply believed that if we got them here, Jesus would change them - AND HE DID!
• I know not everyone was able to get their ONE to come today. In fact, my ONE didn't come. Susan's ONE didn't come. (Arianna's did!) But here's what I would say to you if your ONE didn't come - DON'T GIVE UP ON THEM! Keep inviting them. You never know but what the next invitation just may be the one they take you up on.
• I believe God has even more awesome things in store for us, so here's the next thing for us to do - get your ONE to come back next weekend. We're kicking off a brand new series called, My Crazy Family. Should be fun, so call your ONE and ask them to come back.
• Finally, let me say this - I've never been involved in anything like we saw today. And I believe God still has more in store for us. I believe the best is yet to come! New Horizon, I love you and it's one of the great privileges of my life to be your pastor!
P.S. Just in case you were wondering, I broke the fast today with an Only Burger (bacon cheesburger, to be exact) and chocolate cake from Nantuckett Grill. I'll probably regret it tomorrow, but hey...it was time to celebrate!